Mouthwash can be a beneficial addition to your oral hygiene routine. While it shouldn’t be a substitution for daily brushing and flossing your teeth, it can still have a positive impact on your oral health.
What Is Mouthwash?
Mouthwash is an oral rinse that you swish around in your mouth for about 30-60 seconds before spitting it out. It contains ingredients that help reduce bacteria and tackle bad odors in the mouth. There are many types of mouthwash with different formulations. Read the labels, research their ingredients, and speak with your dentist to determine the best type for your smile.
Children under 6 years old do not need mouthwash. Keep mouthwash safely stored in a high shelf or locked cabinet that they cannot accidently get into. If your dentist recommends a mouthwash for your child between ages 6-12, make sure to supervise their use for their safety. Mouthwash should never be swallowed.
Benefits of Using Mouthwash
- Hardens Enamel – Fluoridated mouthwash helps strengthen your tooth enamel to prevent decay and cavities.
- Freshens Breath – Mouthwash is a powerhouse for eliminating odor-causing bacteria and sulfur compounds. It is a great way to freshen your breath after a meal and after brushing your teeth.
- Lowers Risk of Gingivitis – Alcohol-free antimicrobial mouthwashes can help reach areas in your mouth that your toothbrush and floss can’t reach, such as your tonsils and deeper beneath your gums.
- Prevents Plaque Buildup– Plaque is a stepping-stone for tartar, cavities, and gum disease. Antimicrobial mouthwash helps remove plaque from the hard-to-reach crevices of your smile.
- Reduces Dry Mouth – Some mouthwashes are specially-formulated to combat mouth dryness by moistening the mucus membranes of your oral tissues.
Your Trustworthy Dentist in Littleton, CO
At Summit Family Dentistry, we offer comprehensive dental services and regularly educate our patients about the benefits of maintaining good oral health habits and preventive care at home. If you have additional questions about mouthwash, please don’t hesitate to ask us. Our knowledgeable team can recommend a mouthwash based on your needs. Please contact us to schedule an appointment!Contact Us